Sunday, May 26, 2013

Ravioli Cooking Lesson

The Singapore Women's group did a mother's day special and they had this ravioli making workshop.. I was not sure if I am able to attend since I might be having a meeting that day :)

But last min.. I found out I can attend.. yay! :) So I went lor:)

Early morning.. took metro to SCAFA school.... and finally I have a chance to catch this on camera!

I realized that whenever you travel on the metro on a certain stretch on a certain time of the day, you will see the reflection of the sun rays... shooting out from the Burj Al Arab.. the first time I saw it, I thought it was some alien  rays.. wahahahahaha... (that was when I was so into reading about conspiracy theories and aliens living in our world...)

THen I realized of course that it is just the sun and the curvature of the glass windows on the Burj lah:)

Finally arrived at the place:)

It is a pretty neat cafe... they usually sell food and the food for now is cooked by chefs teaching there... in time to come will be run by their students.. actually they usually do classes only for chefs... not for newbies like us:)

That is our teacher :) Showing us how to roll a dough...

And the steps to making your own ravioli.. is surprisingly EASY!

Step 1: You take a medium sized egg (60-95gm) and mix with 95gm of normal flour. (if large egg then 100 gm of flour) and they use some sort of machine to mix egg and flour together. I lazy.. make at home dun need very pro..  I just use my blender:) wahahahahaha...

Then you roll all your dough into a ball... after that right.. you flatten it into a flat circle with the sides slightly thin...

If you using the pasta machine, you just put flour on the machine and on the table top you are working on and run it through the machine a few times. Apparently, you are supposed to make it just nice the width of the machine for best effect:)

Then hor, you run it through again and again.. each time turning the knob to a smaller number (starts from 7).. the smaller the number, the thinner the pasta sheet... chef says can do till 2 but if you like it very nice.. do till 1 and challenge yourself to working with super thin though sheet:)

Then you cut into rectangles... take a round cookie cutter and put a slight imprint so you know where to put the stuffing...
THe stuffing also very easy one... put watever u like.. can put a few types of cheese.. or can put chicken.. watetver lah... and then put in the middle... and then use water to draw a square around the stuffing...

After that, you fold the dough forward in to half.. presssing gently and making sure all the air comes out... if alot of air, your pasta will float before it is cooked!:)

THen use cookie cutter to cut away excess and then place on plate with flour on it...


I was very lucky that in my group, we had a very pro cook, J:) She did the stuffing and chopping of this and that and suggested adding this and tat.. I totally dunno how to do it lor!:) heng she is around!! she so knowledgeable about the herbs and wat goes with wat lor...

Next hor.. you prepare the white sauce.. it is very easy.. I din konw it is so easy.. just some cooking oil.. and a chuck of butter... when butter melt, add some chopped garlic.. and then hor, add chopped mushroom and let mushroom sweat... (chef say use kitchen towel to clean mushroom cos mushroom will absorb water.. dun wash).. add cooking cream.. (I make at home hor I add condense milk also ok leh) and salt to taste.... Once your sauce ready.. can get ready to boil your pasta..


Just need to boil for a minute or two till pasta is cooked.  Pour in the sauce...

Tadah.. my end product!

Tastes good:)


They even had a lucky draw afterwards.. too bad I din win:) But then agian, the prize is a pearl necklace and I already have one:) hahahaha

I went home.. no pasta machine.. so I roll into a long long strip and cut into small small portions like make tang yuan and slowly roll out one by one rectangular sheet  :) Also can lah... at home eat.. if not fussy.. is ok one:)

Ace loves it so much he is asking for it EVERYDAY!

PS: We have since invested in a pasta machine.. foresee ourselves eating lots of pasta in the near future!

No comments: